Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Trump Rally full of racism right here in our backyard.

Last Tuesday, April 26, 2016 Rhode Island held its Democratic primary. I was at the polls early in the morning, proud to be a African American woman who is able to cast my vote.

Later that day, I was scrolling through social media and I come across a post that my niece posted. She was sad that there was such hatred and prejudice shown right in our area.  She had posted a video that was from a Trump rally the day before at the Crown Plaza here in Warwick, RI.

Well the video was taken down to protect the victim, but feel free to click on the link below to see an edited version and read the article posted in the Providence Journal.   No matter what your political party is, I hope that it would still be disturbing to you when you come to the realization that in this year, 2016, after we have had seen our first African American President be elected into office, twice in fact, there is still such hatred.

Listening to the chants "Build the wall", "ten feet higher" made my blood boil under my colored skin. You see, the reference though I am African American, still hits home as I am married to a Mexican born man.  He is a citizen.  His whole family are legal citizens who work and pay taxes just as the white man next to me.  However, we still have to deal with this kind of thing.  Something that a white person doesn't have to experience, ever. Maybe this can be added to Peggy's McIntosh's list of examples of  white privilege, Having to explain our origin.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20160428/two-charged-with-assault-after-altercation-at-trump-rally-in-warwick

1 comment:

  1. You are right.So right. The most insidious form of privilege because I, for example, do not have to explain my origin and if I protest Trump's racism, some people view me as heroic for speaking out. If I don't, it is not noticed. If a person of color protests Trump's racism. he or she will be viewed as a complainer and "using the race card." Perhaps we need to start a movement at Bryant that includes what Patricia Williams in her book The Alchemy or Race and Rights (1991) Harvard University Press says about the sensibility of a non-racist (we can change it to anti-racist) society--stepping our of safe circle into the wilderness and confronting racism in all of its forms.

    ReplyDelete