Sunday, April 24, 2016

Racism Through Makeup

I came across a very interesting article for today's post. As someone who is very interested in makeup and beauty, I was curious to see if there were major problems for dark skinned ladies out there looking for makeup. It did not take long before I came across an article. South Sundanese model, Nykhor Paul, was heated when she went to a photo shoot and the makeup artist did not have makeup for her skin tone. Aware that this was most likely going to happen, Nykhor brought some of her own makeup in her purse. She states, "Why do I have to bring my own makeup to a professional show when all of the other white girls don't have to do anything but show up?" (People.com). Not only is it slightly embarrassing and most likely awkward for her to have to hand her own makeup to a makeup artist, but it is degrading. Nykhor also kindly pointed out that many makeup brands (Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Makeup Forever, etc.) sell makeup in her skin tone, so why can't the makeup artists come prepared? 
Hopefully this incident does not happen anymore for the stunning Sudanese model. No one should have to feel singled out, especially while they are working on the job. For a young woman who is getting paid to be a part of a fashion show, she should have the luxury of having her makeup done professionally and ethically.



Citation: 
"Model Nykhor Paul Slams Makeup Artists for Being Unprepared to Work With Her Skin Tone." Style News StyleWatch Peoplecom RSS. People, 07 July 2015. Web. 24 Apr. 2016.

4 comments:

  1. I tagged both pop culture & workplace because I felt that this article was suitable for both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a dancer, I have been exposed to makeup since I was 4 years old. As I grew older, I noticed the differences in the makeup brands and colors offered. For someone who wears a foundation entitled "Snow," I can always be certain that makeup will be available for my skin tone or pretty close to it. Not only does this article relate to Pop Culture and Workplace, but I feel that it is also evidence of white privilege. Lighter skinned women do not have to worry about a makeup artist having the wrong product for their skin, nor do they have to struggle to find the "perfect match" in stores. As Nykhor Paul stated, “fashion is art, art is never racist it should be inclusive of all not only white people.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also like Amanda, I have been very interested with playing around with makeup since a very young age. It's more been a hobby and interest of mine to experiment which various kinds and forms of makeup. In the process of doing so, I have realized for many years the poor selection of colors of foundation in the market, especially at the drug store level. However, I do believe that the market has been expanding and has become a lot better in terms of offering a wider range of skin tones for individuals of all different races. There are many brands now that carry not only light to dark skin tones, but even those that are more pink, olive or yellow in color. This helps fit the need of individuals of many different skin colors. With that being said, I think our cosmetic brands have been advancing and making very good progress in recent years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article/post is something that relates closely to one of my articles and how make up for white people is a white privlege. Its crazy to think that a professional show doesn't have make up for a certain race, even when they known they are shooting them. Being white, its not something i think about. I highly doubt its something white models think about either if you were to ask them, but as for the model of color it was different. Its sad that she knew to bring her own make up. Hopefully this is something that can change in the future, i feel as though this is a very easy problem that can be fixed.

    ReplyDelete