Friday, April 29, 2016

"The ghost metaphor"

Tomás Jiménez, "the ghost metaphor: (quoted in para 11). This metaphor refers to the "quandry" people of color face when they experience racism and want to draw attention to it.  Jiménez says “It haunts every aspect of your life, but nobody else sees it and they don’t believe you” (para. 11). The flip side of this is privilege and also connects to the ghost metaphor--those with racial privilege do not experience the racism, don't feel a need to draw attention to it when it happens to someone else, but if they do, expect that people will believe them and are not likely to be haunted by it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/opinion/campaign-stops/the-upside-to-overt-racism.html?_r=0

2 comments:

  1. What a powerful article. I don't even think that when Obama was running for President we see the racism that we are seeing in this election campaign. Trump is making the issue come to light like something that I didn't think I would see in my lifetime. And locally too. Just last week with the Primary going on, there was a trump rally in Warwick and the video that was on social media was quite disturbing. We thought with the first black President being sworn in office, maybe we had overcome. No, not yet, not never. I don't think we ever will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Karen, I recently saw videos of a trump rally on Snapchat and was alarmed by some of the chants. This article was very interesting, I was unaware of "the ghost metaphor."

    ReplyDelete