Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Time People Confused Me With Another Asian

Recently I had an interesting life experience that Professor McDonnell encouraged me to share. As a member of the tennis team, I am subject to advertising for the Bryant Men's Tennis program. At one of our recent matches, I noticed I was on the promotion posters for the match. As I looked closer I realized that under my picture they had put the name of my teammate Phillip Kim. Phillip happens to be the only other Asian player on the team. It became kind of a joke amongst the team but did not resonate with me til later on.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. It is a powerful illustration about how bias without malice is part of our everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny in way, but I would hope the athletic administration formally apologized to you. It is interesting to question if the administration would confuse a white athletes name with another.

    ReplyDelete